Conference Sponsors

PA2016The Caribbean Shipping Association's (CSA) highly anticipated annual Port Awards Competition is fast approaching and all ports and terminal operators across the Caribbean and Latin American Region are being encouraged to prepare their submissions in order to participate.

From the inception of this competition in 1987, the CSA’s Port Awards Competition has sought to promote the development and increased efficiency of port operations. It has served as a great driving force for regional ports and terminal operators, encouraging and stimulating the development of best practices through the recognition of the outstanding performance of ports in key areas.

agm16The Caribbean Shipping Association (CSA) is pleased to announce the opening of registration for its 46th Annual General Meeting, Conference & Exhibition to be held from October 16-19, 2016. This year, the Shipping Association of Trinidad & Tobago (SATT) will be hosting our delegates in their beautiful twin island republic.

This year’s conference promises to be dynamic, providing interesting  and current topics for discussion, excellent networking opportunities, and the announcement of the Ports of the Year winners for 2015.

c8f4578f-6bfa-4a76-b285-7629a8f9ad5c agenda

IMG 0244 1Following the successful staging of our training programmes since the start of 2016, the Caribbean Shipping Association (CSA) is powering ahead with several new training offerings over the next few months.

Applications are invited for the LIEBHERR MOBILE HARBOUR CRANES: EFFICIENT AND SAFE OPERATION TRAINING PROGRAMME, which is set for August 30 to September 1, 2016 at Liebherr’s facilities in Hialeah Gardens, Florida.  The training is free of charge to participants who only have to cover the airfare and hotel accommodations at a rate of USD $109.00 per day. Download programme overview here

Photo: Cruise Industry Seminar in St. Lucia in session

cepal ranking puertos eng-01-768x994The movement of cargo in containers in Latin American and Caribbean ports grew 1.7% during 2015, according to figures unveiled in ECLAC’s new edition of its ranking of container port throughput, published in its Maritime Profile. These figures confirm two trends observed during the last years in the region: the slowdown of foreign trade shown by container terminals and great heterogeneity of the growth rates inside the region.

Regional average of 1.7% container throughput growth, although still higher than the rate recorded in 2014 (0.8%) and 2013 (0.7%), the recovery from this severe downturn remains (figures from 2012 were 5.9%). The slow dynamism of 2015 was determined mainly by the fall in the port activity of five countries: Brazil, Peru, Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago and Venezuela. The total volume of activity in 2015 was approximately 48 million TEU. The first 40 ports in the ranking accounted for nearly 90% of the operations this type of cargo in the region, while another 98 smaller ports divided up the remaining 5.9 million TEU (equivalent to 10%) among themselves.

Do you export your goods in an ocean-going cargo container? If so, are you ready for the amendments to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) that go into effect July 1? The amendments require shippers of packed cargo containers (regardless of who packed it) to ensure that the container's verified gross mass (VGM) is stated in the shipping document. How can you prevent your containers from being left on the docks under these new rules?

These were some of the critical issues addressed at a recent meeting held for members of the Jamaica Exporters Association (JEA) and facilitated by the Shipping Association of Jamaica (SAJ) and the Maritime Authority of Jamaica (MAJ).

At that meeting, the MAJ presented the latest developments impacting the country's exporters. The authority, which is leading the implementation of the SOLAS amendments in Jamaica, advised that it has drafted guidelines to assist the industry's compliance. These guidelines will be shared with the SAJ for comments before being circulated to the various stakeholders.

In the interim, members of the MAJ and SAJ in attendance strongly urged the exporters/shippers to work with their partners in the supply chain to ensure their containerised exports meet the new requirements by the implementation deadline.


Mission Statement

"To promote and foster the highest quality service to the maritime industry through training development; working with all agencies, groups and More...


4 Fourth Avenue, P.O. Box 1050

Kingston C.S.O., Jamaica

Tel: (876)923-3491 Fax: (876)7571592



fbook Facebook   rss  Rss Feed

©2013 Caribbean Shipping Association.

Powered by advantum logo